Thursday, May 15, 2008

Wed, May 14 - Pokhara (Shitty Day)

I thought I had finished with my stomach bug but at 12:20AM I learn otherwise. That's when I sit bolt upright in bed, knowing that something is not right. I hastily take up my position on the porcelain throne and within seconds I'm squirting from both ends. It's not pretty folks, in fact, it's downright ugly. The good news is that after 10 minutes, things have quieted down and I'm able to go back to bed..... waiting. I do manage to get a couple of Cipro (strong antibiotic) and lomotil down.

I sit bolt upright again at 1:20AM for a repeat performance. And again at 2:20 and 3:20. Mercifully, the trains stop running after 3:20. The 2:20 and 3:20 performances are like no others I've experienced. I've heard of projectile vomiting before, but shooting water out my ass like it was a water cannon, that's a new one for me.

I happen to look out the window at 5:30 and see Machupachare (Fish Tail Mountain). I still feel like shit (well, OK, brown water) but the view is compelling. And I know that a much better view awaits on the roof. I must be feeling either much better or really cocky, as I drag up my camera paraphenalia and proceed to take photos for the next 45 minutes.

I sleep in till 9AM, getting up slowly and lounging about most of the day. I'm feeling better by evening and go to the lakeside to catch the evening light and look for some western food. I find a pizza place and the peperoni pizza is not bad. A couple pieces are saved for tomorrow's early morning pilgrimage up to the local mountain viewpoint (assuming no more fireworks tonight).

No comments: