Sunday, May 25, 2008

Fri, May 23 - Tel Aviv

Friday evening is a special occasion for Jews, being the start of the day of rest, Shabat. It is very common to have a dinner with good friends. One of Oren's father's best friends, Zeve, is hosting a dinner this evening and Oren and I are invited. Inbar is attending her bachelorette party.

In the gathering of a dozen people are folks from Spain, the Canary Islands, Germany, US (me) and Israel. Quite a cross section! 

Shabat commences when the woman of the household lights the Shabat candles before sunset. Before sitting down to dinner, the men sample and bless the wine. The wine glass is passed round and I do my part in sampling the local 2004 Yardin Cabernet Sauvignon. The Israelis are making some really good wine these days! Some Jewish families sing songs and have a special reading empowering women and thanking them for taking care of the family and home. The last thing before the meal can start is blessing the bread and distributing a small piece to everyone to eat. 

The food, well let's just say it is really really good. I learn later that one of the restaurant chef's prepares the food. I don't yet have the name of the chef's restaurant but will get that and make sure I visit when I next return. In addition to the standard hummus, there are various dips made with salsa, avocado, spices, tomatoes, asparagus, and a dozen other ingredients whose names I forget. All this before the main courses of chicken and lamb. It's a great feast.

After the meal, the kids drag Oren and I over to their Wii game console. For others like me who don't keep up with the gaming community, wii (pronounced "we"), is a virtual reality game. There is a "glove" which you hold while throwing, batting, bowling or making other arm motions. Accelerometers in the glove determine the motion and the game console translates your hand/arm motion into how well you do at various games (baseball, bowling, tennis, etc). It is quite ingenious and mimics the real games much more accurately than pushing a joystick in traditional games. 

No comments: